In addition to the latest food news, John Lehndorff expresses condolences to a local food family and offers insight into how the public can help.
Listen to the report:
Condolences to a local food family:
John Lehnendorff has known Eric and Jill Skokan, founders of Black Cat Farm~Table~Bistro, since he wrote about Alice’s Restaurant at The Gold Lake Resort near Ward and has deeply admired the ethics and fare at Black Cat, Bramble & Hare and their farm. The Skokans have generously supported the entire community, including KGNU, in many ways for decades. On July 24, their 17-year-old son Kelsey was killed in a car accident which severely injured his brother and damaged the family home.
There are some ways you can help. John stopped by the Black Cat Farm stand on Jay Road, west of 63rd street in Boulder, and was amazed at the menu of foods, ingredients and items grown on the organic farm available including heritage lamb, pork and chicken and eggs, bread and best of all, prepared foods from Black Cat Bistro. The only place you can get Skokans’ award-winning farm-to-table cuisine right now is the farm stand or the farmers market since the restaurants remain closed. The farm is also doing safe farm dinners and donations are being accepted at a gofundme site.
- The Super Mini Walnut Cafe in Lafayette will not reopen but the two Walnut Cafes in Boulder are open and serving breakfast and lunch.
- BRU handbuilt ales & eats – chef Ian Clark’s microbrewery/bistro in Boulder and Lucky Pie Pizza in Niwot have closed.
- The 2020 Lafayette Peach Festival and Lafayette Brew Fest have been canceled.
- The Southern Sun Pub and Under the Sun Eatery are reopened for outside dining and take-out.
Keep Connected to Fellow Foodies:
- Donate a portion of your garden’s or community plot’s harvest this year at bouldercolorado.gov/grow-give
- The Boulder Book Store’s virtual chocolate tastings with John have now become the monthly Chocolate Lovers Club. Join and enjoy for a new theme every Saturday at 2pm via Zoom. For more info visit boulderbookstore.net/chocolate-club.
The best thing John’s tasted this week:
Local sweet corn
You can read John’s latest stories at johnlehndorff.wordpress.com