On September 20, three days before the UN Climate Summit in NYC, young people and adults will strike all across the US and world to demand transformative action be taken to address the climate crisis. Millions of people will take the streets to demand a right to a future.
The climate strikes have spread globally since Greta Thunberg staged a protest in August 2018 outside the Swedish parliament, holding a sign that read “Skolstrejk för klimatet” (“School strike for the climate”). Inspired by that, students around the world have been staging their own climate strikes. Maya Beauvineau, a junior at Niwot Highschool, says students should see the strikes themselves as part of their education.
“I think one thing that a lot of people are hesitant about doing in general in terms of acting for climate change through striking is missing out on the education part, missing out on school. And to people who are hesitant to miss out on school I would say that climate education is itself a form of education because you’re experiencing culture and you’re addressing a global issue by taking action and this is the kind of stuff that goes down in history, that we learn about in school, so I would say, if this is something that you care about, don’t let school hold you back.”
Megan Neufeld, a junior at Silvercreek Highschool says that while the strikes are a youth led movement, the actions on September 20th will involved people of all ages.
“What’s really cool about this one is it is multi-generational, so we are really trying to encourage everyone of all ages to come out for this strike and show that we care. This strike has been planned by a multi-generational group of youth and adults.”
Some of the actions happening around Colorado on September 20:
- Boulder CO Climate Strike Friday, September 20, 2019 • 11:00 AM Norlin Quadrangle 1600 Pleasant St Boulder, CO 80302 Get Details & RSVP
- Boulder Colorado Starbucks Climate Strike Friday, September 20, 2019 • 12:00 PM Outside patio corner of Pearl and 28th St 2770 Pearl St Boulder, CO 80304 Get Details & RSVP
- People of Longmont Strike Friday, September 20, 2019 • 4:30 PM 6th and Main Street 540 Main Street Longmont , CO 80502 Get Details & RSVP
- Golden Climate Strike Friday, September 20, 2019 • 2:00 PM Colorado School of Mines 1500 Illinois St Golden , CO 80401 Get Details & RSVP
- Colorado Climate Strike – Denver Friday, September 20, 2019 • 11:00 AM Begin outside of Union Station. March down 16th Street Mall to the Colorado State Capitol. 1700 Wewatta Street Denver, CO 80202 Get Details & RSVP
- Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom Climate Rally Sunday, September 22, 2019 • 1:00 PM Corner of 16th Street and 35th Ave. near Veterans’ Memorial Corner of 16th Street and 35th Avenue Greeley, CO 80634 Get Details & RSVP
- University of Northern Colorado Climate Strike Friday, September 20, 2019 • 4:00 PM Jackson Field, On 6th Ave Between 18th and 19th Streets 270 Alles Dr Greeley, CO 80631 Get Details & RSVP
- Fort Collins Climate Strike Friday, September 27, 2019 • 5:30 PM Fort Collins 7 Old Town Sq Fort Collins, CO 80526 Get Details & RSVP
- Climate Strike – Breckenridge, CO Friday, September 20, 2019 • 2:00 PM March from CMC Parking lot to South Main 107 Denison Placer Road Breckenridge, CO 80424 Get Details & RSVP