“We see that our elected officials do not respond to popular issues. We see that money just flows in and advertising just flows over us and there doesn’t seem to be any responsiveness back to the people.”
Rionda Osman with the Boulder County League of Women Voters Campaign Finance Reform Team says that unchecked money in politics is having an adverse affect on our democracy. Ceal Ruffing with the League of Women Voters Boulder County chapter says that the idea that “greater political influence can be garnered by a few very large donors sympathetic to the cause, while not having to content with the views or issues presented by a much larger number of small donors – that’s an indicator of corruption in the democratic election process.”
The League of Women Voters, known for their non-partisan work to get people involved and educated about participation in Government is now taking on campaign finance reform.
The League of Women Voters supported a bill introduced in 2012 to the Colorado state legislature to create a public campaign fund to be administered by a Colorado Citizen Funded Campaigns Commission. Candidates for Colorado’s General Assembly would have had the option to participate in the publicly funded system, but the bill didn’t pass.
The Boulder County chapter has now developed a toolkit and slide show to educate the community on campaign finance reform and they are planning some community presentations on the topic.
The League of Women Voters Boulder Chapter community presentations are happening at various locations in the county on March 9th and 10th.
- Frasier Meadows Retirement Community, Mon March 9th, 11:00 am – 12:30 pm, 350 Ponca Place, Boulder, 80303. Enter main entrance, west side of bldg. Elevator to 4th floor Assembly Room.
- The Egg and I Restaurant, Tues March 10th, 10:30 am – 12 Noon, 2055 Ken Pratt Blvd, Longmont, 80501. Arrive at 10 am to order food.
- George Reynolds Branch (of the Boulder Public Library), Tues March 10th, 1 pm – 2:30 pm, 3595 Table Mesa Dr, Boulder, 80305. Downstairs Meeting Room.
- Main Boulder Public Library, Wed Mar 11th, 11:30 am – 1 pm, 1001 Arapahoe Ave , Boulder, 80302. Arapahoe Room.
- Double Happy Asian Restaurant, Wed. Mar 11th, 6 pm – 7:30 pm, 740 Main St, Louisville, 80027. SE corner of Main & Spruce. Park in rear lot or on street. Arrive at 5:30 pm to order food.