Listen
About KGNU

Afternoon Headlines June 29, 2017

Posted: June 29, 2017 at 3:36 pm by , in Headlines

A collector has decided to pull her collection from exhibition in Boulder’s Museum of Contemporary Art following the resignation of several staff members. The exhibit, titled “Walk the Distance and Slow Down,” featured the work of 29 artists and was owned by collector JoAnn Gonzalez Hickey. It was supposed to be on view until September 10th.

 
The Daily Camera reports that Hickey made the decision to take her collection down after at least four BMoCA employees resigned, alleging that executive director David Dadone was abusive and had violated labor laws. The dispute began in March when employees sent a letter to BMoCA complaining of Dadone’s behavior.

 
The museum hired former Boulder District Judge Gwyneth Whalen to investigate the claims. Whalen said she found no basis for the accusations and Dadone was therefore allowed to remain on staff. But the resigned employees say the investigation was biased and incomplete, citing over 30 people they say could attest to the allegations who were not interviewed.

 
The story became national news when the New York Times reported it.The article included a letter of resignation from former visitor services and membership manager Nora Lupi. In her letter, she accuses Dadone of forcing employees to work 10-12 hour shifts with no breaks.

 
Dadone said in an email to the Daily Camera that the museum respected Hickey’s decision to pull her collection. It will be replaced by the works of Jason Kolak, an exhibit expected to be on public view beginning today.

Dadone said the museum is in the process of hiring new employees to replace those who resigned.

 

The way the 16th Street free MallRide operates could change by the end of the year. Over the next three days, The City of Denver and RTD will be discussing future plans for the mall with other stakeholders, including Downtown Denver Partnerships.

 
No radical changes are expected. Tami Door, CEO and President of Downtown Denver Partnerships, told the Denverite that the shuttles will remain on the mall, despite earlier talk of moving them. Changes could include modifications to the shuttle lanes or improvements to the sidewalks to better manage the flow of pedestrian traffic.

 
Two studies conducted last year found that it would be advantageous to the city to reconfigure the MallRide’s current layout. These studies will be used to inform a federally mandated review that must be conducted before any changes are made. Since the shuttle system was built in 1982 with federal funds, any changes must be approved to fit with the National Environmental Policy Act.

Discussion of potential changes is beginning now because Denver has $68 million in Urban Renewal Authority money that must be spent by 2022 for projects that begin by 2020. There will be opportunities later this summer for public input and comment.