With lower temperatures upon us, more and more people are struggling to pay their heating bills.Jim Williams and Theresa Cullen with Boulder County Health and Human Services join us to talk about the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP), financial assistance to pay the heating bills for the home.
To receive LEAP assistance you must meet the following requirements
- The household must contain at least one member who is a U.S. Citizen/Legal Permanent Resident
- Be a resident in the state of Colorado
- To apply in Boulder, be a Boulder County resident
- Pay heating costs, or have heating costs included in your rent
- Meet gross monthly household income guidelines
There are other programs designed to help people who fall outside the LEAP program income guidelines.
The HEAT PLUS program has a higher income threshold for families needing heating assistance – up to $53,000 a year for a family of four. Find out more here.